Monday, September 07, 2009

Here There Be Dragons (i.e. Ikan Biru part 3).

On to day 3 of the Ikan Biru trip. On the second dive I saw my first Manta Ray, but I didn't get any pictures (I saw #'s 2 through 6 or so this morning - bad pics will be along eventually).




In between the second and night dives we visited Komodo to see the Komodo dragons as well. Most of the ones we saw were kind of hanging out at the visitor's center (I assume they feed them to keep the around for the tourists) but there was one slightly more authentic one out sunning itself on the beach when we returned to the boat.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Fritter said...

Aren't those things aggressive? I thought they had a lethal bite or something because it more toxic than the sewer system....

Saturday, September 12, 2009 9:38:00 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Their bite is very toxic (due to bacteria I think) and their claws and tails are pretty dangerous. But they're not very aggressive (at least the ones we saw weren't). The one on the beach walked off as soon as we got within 50 feet of it and the others looked so well fed they could barely move. The guides got a bit jumpy if we got too close though.

I did hear a story about a bunch of divers that got washed away from the dive site a couple years ago and ended up on one of the islands. Apparently they spent a night or two throwing stones at hungry dragons before they were picked up. Not sure if it's true or not but I do trust the guy I heard it from.

Sunday, September 13, 2009 1:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Fritter said...

Dude I believe that story... I have watched Discovery Channel type stuff on those things.. They are aggressive predators that hunt deer and whatnot. I could see them putting humans on the menu... They are lizards afterall.... :P

Monday, September 14, 2009 1:44:00 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Yup, it happened. Some of the divers were British and it apparently was big news there.

Our guide when we went to see the dragons this time was full of other stories about people being attacked too.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All photographs copyright Brian A. Wilcox unless otherwise noted.

Newer›  ‹Older