Wednesday, October 15, 2003

Warning - Do not read this post if you are my mother!

I didn't mention this in last night's post, but yesterday morning at Hoa Lu I had an encounter with a rather upset dog, and ended up getting bitten on the leg. D'Oh! Although the bite did break the skin on my leg, my jeans were not ripped so I figured I was probably OK even if the dog had rabies. I'm pretty sure it was pregnant and thus nervous rather than rabid though.

However, rabies is not something you want to mess around with. So, today in Hué I had my first encounter with the Vietnamese medical services to start a course of vaccinations. It wasn't too bad overall and I was rather comforted by the whole experience, even if the clinic wasn't quite up to the standards I'd expect at home. The doctor was professional, spoke English well (if not quite fluently), and obviously had quite a bit of experience with rabies. The syringe was the single-use disposable type and I watched them unseal the package and then break off the needle when done. Now I just have to do the same thing 5 more times over the next 10 days.

Interesting couple of days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

All photographs copyright Brian A. Wilcox unless otherwise noted.

Newer›  ‹Older