Friday, February 01, 2008

Hiking To EBC Part 1: Setting Out

Day 1: Lukla To Jorsale

After catching an early morning flight from Kathmandu to Lukla, I immediately set out to hike as far as I could the first day. The normal stop is the town of Phakding about midway between Lukla and Namche Bazaar but I continued on to Jorsale to shorten the second day with its notorious climb up to Namche.




Day 2: Jorsale To Namche

The climb up to Namche Bazaar ended up being much easier than the stories I'd heard led me to believe. Probably my recent trek in Annapurna had me well acclimatized at this altitude and used to the hills. Whatever the reason I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly I arrived in Namche.



After a quick I took a long afternoon hike down through Namche and then up the ridge above town. At the top of the ridge I got my first view of Everest and some of its neighbors.




Day 3: Namche To Tengboche

The next day was a longer walk up to Tengboche at around 3800 meters. The morning was a very pleasant and nearly flat walk along the side of the valley.



In the afternoon the trail dipped down to cross the Dudh Khosi river valley then climbed steeply up to Tengboche at around 3800 meters. This climb is steeper and longer than the climb up to Namche and ended up being probably the toughest part of the hike up to base camp.




That's enough for today. I'll post the next leg in a day or two.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an experience you've had. The camera is doing a great job...loved the yak and gorgeous scenery. What next?
Lynne

Friday, February 01, 2008 6:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All photographs copyright Brian A. Wilcox unless otherwise noted.

Newer›  ‹Older