Saturday, January 05, 2008

Hiking To ABC Part 4: The Path Back

And finally I'm up to the last post of the Annapurna trek.

Day 9: Himalaya Hotel To Sinua

This first picture was actually taken the evening before. Shortly after I got to Himalaya the clouds rolled in and stayed for the evening. Unfortunately this became a pattern that continued for 3 of the last four days of the trip.



Sinua is the town on the far side of the "final" valley from Chomrong. I'd liked it when I went through on the way up and thought it would be a nice place to stay instead of Chomrong so this was another short day.




Day 10: Sinua To Landruk

The morning was a hike back down that valley and up to Chomrong. The rest of my trek from this point was following the trail I took up on my first trip in reverse. The first part was a short but very steep descent to Jinu down a hill that I remember well from my first trip.



I'd originally planned to stay in Jinu for the hot springs but didn't want another short day so decided to push on another 3 hours or so to Landruk.




Day 11: Landruk To Pothana

This was another short day to Pothana with one last steep climb in the afternoon. This made for a short day but I didn't want to go all the way back to Pokhara that day and Pothana is a much nicer place to stay than Dhampus. Also, I remember it from my first trip so didn't mind spending my last night there.




Day 12: Pothana To Phedi (And Back To Pokhara)

Finally, my last day was yet another short day with a gentle downhill to the large town of Dhampus.



From Dhampus it is a long steep descent to Phedi where I picked up the bus back to Pokhara. I remember my climb up these stairs from my first trip (my original introduction to hiking in Nepal) and was interested to see if they were as bad as I remember. Turns out that the intervening years did not exaggerate them in my mind and they were pretty much as long and steep as I remember.



Thats finally it for the Annapurna trek posts. I have some pictures from Kathmandu that I hope to post tomorrow. After that I plan to fly up to Lukla on Monday to do another trek to Everest Base Camp.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bri,
Terrific to be able to follow along with your trip. More close-up please...the colors...wow!
Lynne

Saturday, January 05, 2008 4:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All photographs copyright Brian A. Wilcox unless otherwise noted.

Newer›  ‹Older