Friday, January 04, 2008

Hiking To ABC Part 3: The Base Camps

This post picks up where the last one left off with my arrival at MBC.

Day 6 (cont): MBC

Not much to say about this day since I already covered the walk up in the last post. Here are the pictures I took at MBC that evening. The lodge I stayed in, although different from my first trip, was definitely on the same spot and I recognized the area well although it was no longer covered with snow.




Day 7: Christmas Eve at ABC

I took my time getting going in the morning since I only had a short 2 hour walk up to ABC. Last time I did this walk I remember having to walk up in the snow and it being a long slow trudge however this time it was an easy walk up the path to ABC. Being somewhat acclimatized from Tibet, and not being sick this time, also helped make this a much less strenuous hike than the first time.



Once I got up to ABC I spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing at my lodge and walking around base camp. ABC was one of those places on the trip that I had thought I'd forgotten but remembered as soon as I got there. Although I have no pictures from my first trip as soon as I got up into the sanctuary the view of the surrounding ring of mountains was very familiar.




Day 8: Leaving The Sanctuary

I had originally planned to spend Christmas day at ABC but with the short walk the day before I decided to start the walk back instead. Also, although ABC wasn't as cold as I was prepared for, it did get cold early as the sun went down behind Hiunchuli around 2 PM in the afternoon. Although the next few days are just retracing my steps back to Chomrong I still managed to take a few pictures on the way back.



This is a good place to end this post. I'll continue from Himalaya Hotel tomorrow or the day after.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

All photographs copyright Brian A. Wilcox unless otherwise noted.

Newer›  ‹Older