Wednesday, August 15, 2012

So I've Been A Bit Lazy With The Sipidan Posts...

I'm only diving the Sipidan area for a few more days and I've finally gone through enough of my pictures to put a quick post together. Most of these are from local dives around Mabul but there are a few from Sipadan itself. Enjoy.



In other news, I've been having trouble finding somewhere else in Malaysian Borneo to dive between the time I finish here and my return to Indonesia so I've decided to head to Brunei of all places.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't that some kind of nudibranch? (the one you call a gorgeous flatworm)

Richard D

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:19:00 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

No, Flatworms and Nudibranchs are different things.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 7:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that, but how can you tell? It has the feelers and gill-looking things on its back. Do flatworms have the same attributes?

Friday, August 17, 2012 4:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just looked up the question; I guess sometimes it is hard to tell, at least from pictures alone. Main thing seems to be essentially flatness(!) and then presence of external gills for nudibranchs (but not always!)

Friday, August 17, 2012 5:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and also flatworms move much faster they say

Friday, August 17, 2012 5:13:00 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

One of the kickers for me is the pseudo-antennae on flatworms (the mantle folds on the front that look like antennae). Even the Nudis that don't have visible gills usually have rhinophores (although sometimes they are retracted) which look completely different.

If you look at enough of them the difference is usually pretty obvious - you covered most of the ones of which I'm aware.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 6:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

All photographs copyright Brian A. Wilcox unless otherwise noted.

Newer›  ‹Older